The four core purposes of ICSs are to:
- Improve outcomes for populations
- Tackle inequalities in outcomes, experience and access
- Enhance productivity and value for money
- Help the NHS support broader social and economic development
ICE supports ICSs to collaborate to identify their top priorities, develop their five-year strategies and delivery plans, measure actual progress towards their goals in delivery and evaluate which programmes are working.
The platform addresses a unique gap for the newly formed ICSs and ICPs to work with wider stakeholders to come together to better meet the health needs of their population. ICE helps improve outcomes for populations by enabling the stakeholders to understand health indicators, access and outcomes to determine opportunities for improvement.
Health inequalities can also be identified and compared through analysis of metrics with the most local variation across Places and Neighbourhoods, and analysis of the gap between the 20% most deprived population (Core20) and the remaining 80% (non Core20).